Rock Win in OT over Swarm; Rush Down 'Necks

Duluth, GA The Toronto Rock (7-5) went to overtime for the third time this season and for the first time, came out with a win, defeating the East Division leading Georgia Swarm (8-4) by a score 12-11 on a goal by Reid Reinholdt on Friday night at the Infinite Energy Center in Duluth, Georgia.

"I saw them pushing out, pressuring Steph (Leblanc) out on to the sideboards pretty hard," explained Reinholdt of how the play developed on his OT winner. "I just took a little bump, my guy switched on to him and I had a lot of open space and Steph put the ball right there where I could do something with it."

Toronto fell behind 2-0 early, but goals from Kasey Beirnes and rookie Latrell Harris tied the game 2-2 before the end of the first quarter. Goaltender Nick Rose was the busier of the two netminders over the opening fifteen minutes, stopping 10 of 12 Georgia shots.

After the two teams traded goals to begin the second quarter, Jordan Magnuson gave the Rock their first lead of the game, 4-3. The Swarm answered the go ahead goal with four straight tallies over their own in a span of just over three minutes. Brett Hickey scored before the end of the half to draw the Rock back to within two goals, trailing 7-5 heading into halftime.

The Rock's Tom Schreiber opened the second half scoring, followed by Hickey's third goal of the game, tying the score 7-7. Once again, Georgia rallied with three straight goals to take a 10-7 lead. Hickey's fourth of the game closed the gap to a pair, 10-8 after three quarters.

Less than a minute into the fourth quarter, Georgia's Randy Staats gave the Swarm a three-goal lead but it didn't last long as Hickey's fifth goal and Stephan Leblanc's first made it a one-goal game. With just over a minute to go, the Rock called timeout and pulled Rose to go six-on-five. Reinholdt scored with 58 seconds left to tie the game and send it to overtime.

In the extra period, the Swarm had the first crack at things but Rose stood tall in the Rock cage and upon gaining possession, Toronto called a timeout. It didn't take long for Reinholdt to play hero again, sinking the game winner from right on top of the crease.

"It was about time the boys got rewarded, we've had a lot of one goal games, it's nice to come out on the right side of one," said Rock Head Coach Matt Sawyer after the team's first OT victory in three tries.

Hickey's five goals paced the Rock offence. Leblanc, Schreiber, Beirnes, Magnuson and Harris all had singles to go along with Reinholdt's two difference makers. Nick Rose finished with 46 saves, earning win number seven.

* * * *

Saskatchewan 13, Calgary 10

The Saskatchewan Rush surrendered six power-play goals but got a timely shorthanded goal from captain Chris Corbeil and ultimately captured a 13-10 win over the Calgary Roughnecks on Friday night.

The Rush (8-3) won their seventh straight regular-season meeting against the Roughnecks (4-9), and the two-time defending Champion's Cup title-holders moved one step closer to clinching a playoff spot.

Saskatchewan can lock up that spot with a win over Colorado on Saturday night.

Corbeil's goal his second of the game came on a well-timed defensive effort by Kyle Rubisch, who intercepted a pass in the Saskatchewan zone and tossed a pass ahead to Corbeil. The Rush skipper raced in and bounced a shot behind Calgary goalie Christian Del Bianco to give Saskatchewan a 12-9 lead. Dan Taylor iced the victory with his second of the night as he picked the corner on a shot with 59 seconds left in regulation before a sold-out crowd of 15,039 at SaskTel Centre in Saskatoon.

1 2    Next  »


Create a free lacrosse website